The Ahead of the Curve coalition began meeting quarterly as a working group in 2015. Below is a brief history beginning with the early days of the collaborative to our current efforts focused on diversity, equity and inclusion.
- December 2015: Renewed efforts to bring together NYC area capacity building organizations results in a first conversation bringing together nine organizations (NFF, NYLPI, Lawyers Alliance, Cause Effective, FMA, Nonprofit New York, CRE, SC and HSC).
- Early 2016: The coalition decides that risk management is an idea that impacts all of our capacity building work but isn’t owned by any one organization. We agree to organize a symposium and gather resources.
- September 28, 2016: The first symposium is held by Ahead of the Curve entitled: Ahead of the Curve: Defining, Assessing And Managing Risk At Nonprofits.
- Fall 2016: Launch of the Ahead of the Curve website.
- December 2016 meeting focused on elevating new issues, specifically that of diversity and equity.
- Early 2017: AOTC officially launched a diversity, equity and inclusion subcommittee.
- October 18, 2017: The second symposium is held focusing on: Stay Ahead of the Curve: How to Proactively Navigate Risk, Opportunity and Uncertainty.
- Early 2018: AOTC agrees upon a logic model framework for our work together.
- 2018: AOTC initially works with the Interaction Institute for Social Change to develop a decision-making and committee framework for moving the work forward.
- 2019: AOTC works with Cardozie Jones, True North EDI and Building Movement Project on trainings and an internal assessment guiding organizations through this exercise
- 2020: AOTC begins meeting weekly to discuss COVID-19 response and coordinate efforts to support the nonprofit sector.